0 Featured Designers: Joe Massie

   För svenska, scrolla ner

He has won RHS Young Chelsea Florist of the Year 4 times, 4 consecutive Gold Medals and 4 Best in Show awards at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show! Right now he's in the process of launching his own company. Here is floral designer Joe Massie!

How did it start? Why did you become a floral designer?

- My experience as a designer started quite by chance - or quite by fate, depending on which way you look at it. I very clearly remember being 13 years old and desperately wanting a weekend job for myself - I really wanted to earn some money for myself! I approached all of the shops in the town where I lived, and very politely asked them if they had any Saturday job's going. Naturally, I was too young, as in the UK we can only start employment aged 16, so I was turned away everywhere I went. The very last shop I approached was the shop that was the only one I had ignored on my way into town - the florist shop. I ended up, begrudgingly, approaching the lady who owned the flower shop, and she was kind enough to offer me a job washing buckets and conditioning flowers every Saturday. From there I quickly fell in love with the job. That was how it all started, and when I look back, I think, how very different my life could have been should I have been apprenticed in a butchers shop, or a bakers - maybe I'd have a passion to be the World's best baker instead! 

How would you describe your style?
- In five words? Contemporary, Innovative, Luxurious, Soulful and Exquisite. I love design that makes you feel just a little bit more special than you were before you saw it - it should enrich you, in a way. I firmly believe that what we create should effect the people who view it in a space. It should move you, transfix you - just as a great painting or gown would, and not allow your eye to wander lazily around the room.

 Highlights in your career?
- Throughout my career I have always competed professionally, entering my first competition at just 16. Competitions where the vehicle from which I chose to make my name - a way of improving my skills, exploring the industry and getting my name out there to the wider public. I have since competed in, and won, nine National competitions here in the UK; (BFA Young Florist of the Year twice, Interflora Florist of the Future, RHS Young Chelsea Florist of the Year x 4 etc) including four consecutive Gold Medals and four Best in Show awards at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show, which I am very proud of. I've also represented the UK in three international floristry competitions - Eurofleurs in 2008 and 2010 and at WorldSkills - Calgary in 2009. I was ranked 3rd place, Bronze Medal at WorldSkills Calgary in 2009 and second place, at Eurofleurs 2010. My next competition will the the 2013 RHS Chelsea Flower Show, which is also the 100th anniversary of the Chelsea Flower Show - so it will be a very special occasion.

What is a typical day like for you?
- Speaking honestly, I don't really have a "normal" day, as one project can vary vastly from the next! One day I might be heading to the flower market to select some blooms for a sample, or maybe meeting with clients to discuss upcoming projects or events, and the next might see me teaching a seminar in another country! I love the versatility and freedom that my job allows! Plus, running your own show does have some wonderful, flexible benefits! 

Where do you find inspiration?
- Inspiration to me is not something elusive, or fictional in character. Inspiration is all around us - in everything I see I can usually find a little glimmer of something that will spark my imagination. When I am designing for a client or a project, I often look to fashion, art, jewellery, photography and interior design to influence what it is I am working on; anything visual can stimulate me, and I believe that every type of design, from a beautifully laid out website to a couture gown can be appreciated by those who can see into the subject. There are junctions in the visual work, you know? Where one form can translate easily into another - and that is where I find the excitement!  I often find that it happens to be the work that carries the most soul, the most character, that attracts me and kickstarts the process. The work of Alexander McQueen, Zaha Hadid, Hussein Chalayan, Mondrian, and Frida Kahlo influence my work a lot, more than even I probably know.

Do you have any advice for new/young designers?
- The best advice I could give anyone starting out a career in floral design is to learn as much as you possibly can - education is everything, especially when paired with on-the-job experience too. I invested heavily in my career from a young age - reading books, attending demonstrations, assisting designers and entering design competitions - and it's stood me in good stead as I moved forward with my career. I am a very firm believer in the fact that you get what you give in this life; the more you put in, the more you'll get out. 

What's your favourite flower?
- I'm afraid that I don't have a favourite flower. As I've said before, I have very fickle taste and what I love one day, I can hate the next. That said, as a general rule, I adore anything seasonal, rare and of impeccable quality - for example Paphiopedilum (Slipper orchids), Lily of the Valley or Florentine Iris are all stunning in their own right.

What are you up to right now?
- I have just returned from an exciting 6 month tenure working in New York City with an event company out there - so currently, I am LOVING being back home in the UK! I'm in the process of launching my own company, Joseph Massie Creative, which will serve to promote and expand innovation and creativity with flowers and botanical materials through installations and commissions for clients, and also promote the educational side of the industry through teaching, demonstrating, hosting workshops. It's kind of an amalgamtion of everything I've been doing quietly for the past few years - combining my love for education, design and promotion, whilst providing a first class service of events and artistic installations. It's hard work, but good work too! 

You can also find Joe on FacebookTwitter and Pinterest.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Han har vunnit RHS Young Chelsea Florist of the Year 4 gånger, 4 guld i rad och 4 Best in Show utmärkelser vid RHS Chelsea Flower Show! Här är floral designer Joe Massie från Storbritannien!

Hur började det? Varför blev du florist och floral designer?
- Det var en slump - eller ödet, beroende på hur man ser det. Jag mycket tydligt minns att jag som 13-åring var desperat och vill ha ett helgjobb - jag ville tjäna egna pengar! Jag gick till alla butiker i staden där jag bodde och frågade dem, mycket artigt, om de hade något lördags jobb. Naturligtvis var jag för ung, i Storbritannien måste man ha fyllt 16 år för att kunna bli anställd. Den allra sista butiken jag gick till var den butik som jag dittills hade bortsett från - blomsterbutiken. Motvilligt frågade jag damen som ägde blomsterbutiken och hon var vänlig nog att erbjuda att mig jobba varje lördag med att tvätt hinkar och snitta blommor. Och sen var jag fast och blev kär i yrket. Tänk hur annorlunda mitt liv kunde ha blivit om jag istället skulle ha gått som lärling hos en slakta, eller en bagare - kanske skulle jag då ha varit världens bästa bagare istället!

Hur skulle du beskriva din stil?
- Med fem ord? Modernt, innovativ, lyxiga, delikat, full av själ och hjärta. Jag älskar design som gör att du känner dig lite mer speciella än du gjorde innan du såg det - det berika dig på något sätt. Jag tycker att det vi skapar ska påverka de människor som ser det. Det ska röra dig, genomborra dig  (precis som en stor målning eller en couture klänning skulle) och hindra dina ögon från att slött vandra runt i rummet.

 Höjdpunkter i din karriär?
- Under hela min karriär har jag tävlat professionellt. Jag deltog i min första tävling när jag bara var 16. Tävlingar har varit som en motor för mig - på så sätt har jag gjort mig ett namn, förbättrat mina färdigheter, utforskat branschen och kunnat nå ut till allmänheten. Jag har tävlat i, och vunnit, 9 nationella tävlingar här i Storbritannien, (BFA Young Florist of the Year 2 gånger, Interflora Florist of the Future, RHS Young Chelsea Florist of the Year 4 gånger mm) och fyra raka guldmedaljer och fyra Best in Show utmärkelser vid RHS Chelsea Flower Show, vilket jag är mycket stolt över. Jag har också representerade Storbritannien i tre internationella tävlingar - Eurofleurs 2008 och 2010 och WorldSkills 2009. Jag kom på 3:e plats i WorldSkills i Calgary 2009 och 2:a plats på Eurofleurs 2010. Min nästa tävling är RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2013, då Chelsea Flower Show firar 100 år, så det kommer nog att bli väldigt speciellt.

Hur ser en typisk dag ut för dig?
- Ärligt talat, jag har verkligen inte någon "normal" dag, eftersom mina olika projekt ofta variera kraftigt från varandra! En dag kanske jag åker till blomstermarknaden för att välja några blommar för ett prov, eller kanske träffa kunder för att diskutera kommande projekt eller evenemang, och nästa kanske jag håller en workshop eller ett seminarium i ett annat land! Jag älskar den mångsidighet och frihet att mitt arbete ger! Att kör sin egen show har många underbara, flexibla förmåner!

Var hittar du inspiration?
- Inspiration för mig är inte något ogripbart eller av fiktiva karaktär. Inspiration är runt omkring mig, i allt jag ser kan jag oftast kan hitta en liten glimt av något som väcker min fantasi. När jag designar för en kund eller ett projekt, tittar jag ofta på mode, konst, smycken, foto och inredning för att bli visuellt stimulerad. Jag tror att alla typer av design, från en fint designad hemsida till en couture klänning kan uppskattas av dem som kan se in i ämnet. Det finns korsningar i den visuella arbetet. Där en form enkelt översättas till en annan - där hittar jag  spänningen! Ofta är det de arbeten som har mest själ,  mest karaktär, som lockar mig och kickstartar processen. Arbeten av Alexander McQueen, Zaha Hadid, Hussein Chalayan, Mondrian och Frida Kahlo påverka mitt arbete mycket, förmodligen mer än vad jag vet själv.

Har du några råd till nya / unga designers?
- Det bästa råd jag kan ge någon börjat som florist eller floral designer är att lära sig så mycket som du möjligen kan - utbildning är allt, särskilt ihop med praktisk övning. Från det att jag var väldigt ung, så investerade jag i min karriär genom att läsa böcker, gå på demonstrationer/workshops, assistera andra designers och tävla. Det blev sedan en stabil grund för min karriär. Jag är övertygad om att du får vad du ger i detta liv, ju mer du satsar, desto mer får du.

Vilken är din favoritblomma?
- Jag är rädd för att jag inte har någon favoritblomma. Som jag har sagt tidigare, min smak är väldigt ombytligt. Det jag älskar en dag, kan jag hatar nästa. Men som en allmän regel jag älskar allt säsongsbetonade, sällsynta och av oklanderlig kvalitet - till exempel Venussko, liljekonvalj eller florentinsk Iris.

Vad håller du på med just?
- Jag har precis avslutat 6 månaders spännande arbetar i New York City med ett event företag. Så jag ÄLSKA att vara tillbaka hemma i Storbritannien! Jag håller på att lansera mitt egna företag, Joseph Massie Creative  som ska främja och utveckla innovation och kreativitet med blommor och botaniska material genom installationer och även främja den pedagogiska sidan av branschen genom undervisning, demostrationer och workshops. Det är egentligen precis det som jag har sysslat med de senaste åren - en kombination av min kärlek för utbildning, design, marknadsföring och en förstklassig service för events och konstnärliga installationer. Det är hårt arbete, men så roligt!

Du kan även hitta Joe på FacebookTwitter och Pinterest.




Inga kommentarer :

Skicka en kommentar

Tack för din hälsning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
,
,
Blogging tips